Kent State houses remaining on-campus students in Stopher, Johnson halls

After moving all classes online for the rest of the semester, Kent State’s campus houses only 67 remaining students who are staying in the Stopher and Johnson residence halls.  

These students, who are unable to return home during this time, are staying in the residence halls because they comply with the public health guidelines for COVID-19, such as having private bathrooms, wrote Eric Mansfield, executive director of University Media Relations, in an email.

The students will be housed until the end of the semester, until the same date they would have been if in-person classes were still being conducted. 

The university anticipates refunding around $14 million for room and board and meal plan refunds, Mansfield wrote. All refunds will be issued by April 30. 

For those who are still on campus, the dining options include Prentice Cafe and Munchies Market, which are open from 10 a.m.–1 p.m. and 4–6 p.m. Monday through Friday, Mansfield wrote. Munchies Market is also offering weekend hours from 10 a.m.–1 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.    

As all work is being conducted remotely, there are no students currently working on campus. However, student workers are continuing to be paid, Mansfield wrote. 

With the many building closures on campus, the hours and availability of services has changed as well. For example, although the DeWeese Health Center is closed, students who seek medical or psychological services have the option of using telehealth services, Mansfield wrote. 

For more information on telepsychology services and medical services for students at the Kent campus and regional campuses, visit the university’s COVID-19 information page

Contact Abigail Mack at [email protected].