Many ways to save at the pump

Catrina Cieslik

With gas prices continuing to rise above $3 a gallon, people are trying to find ways to save money on gas. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the average passenger vehicle uses more than 580 gallons of gasoline a year. That is about an average of $1,740 a year (depending on the size of your car).

An effective way to save money on gas is carpooling. There are carpool bulletins available for students through the Kent State University Web site. Students who commute are able to set up times and places to find other students to take turns driving to and from school.

“Because gas is so expensive and I am a poor college student, I try to carpool everywhere I go,” said Brian Johnson, junior information technology major. “My friends and I even take turns driving to the grocery store and Wal-Mart, and if I cannot find anyone to carpool with, I just bike there.”

There are also numerous bus routes available through PARTA. There is a new Cleveland Express route that runs Monday through Friday all year around. For $5, the Cleveland Express stops at Twinsburg, Randall Park Mall and Downtown Cleveland, providing access to other forms of transportation such as the Greyhound and Amtrak.

The Akron Express is a different route that drives from Kent State University to Akron and stops at different locations along the way.

“I have taken the bus a few times to see my friends in Akron to save some money, and I think more people should take advantage of the service,” sophomore education major Ashley Demers said.

Fuelperks! is another way to save money simply by purchasing groceries.

“I love fuelperks! because I get to stock up on food for my apartment and save money on gas,” senior education major Kelly Roller said. “For every $50 I spend on groceries at Giant Eagle, I get 10 cents off a gallon of gas.”

Driving hybrid cars is another way to save money on gasoline.

“My Honda Civic Hybrid gets 50 miles to the gallon,” said Padriac Routa, sophomore visual communication design major. “I can go close to a month on a single tank of gas and drive to Washington D.C. on a single tank of gas.”

Although hybrid vehicles save a great deal on gasoline, there are much cheaper ways to save money.

There are several used cars dealerships located in and around Kent.

“A lot of college students are purchasing cars here because they are looking to buy small affordable cars,” said Mazda of Kent owner Bruce Caudill. “Young people are buying used cars because they cannot afford expensive cars partly because of the high gas prices.”

Along with soaring gas prices comes the responsibility of drivers to find even more creative and effective ways to save money.

“I will continue to find many other interesting ways to save money on gas,” Johnson said. “Not because I want to, but because I have no other choice.”

Contact transportation reporter Catrina Cieslikat [email protected].