PR instructor to leave KSU for organization’s director position

Brittany Senary

Rob Jewell, instructor in journalism and mass communications, announced he has accepted a position as communications director at Corporate Voices for Working Families, an organization representing public policy issues related to working families and will leave Kent State after this semester.

Jewell will be writing about issues that affect working families such as healthcare and education for magazines and newspapers. He said it is more than a communications job because he will be defining what the issues are, making sure people understand the issues and what people can do about them.

Jewell was the first leader of Flash Communications, a joint project between the school of Journalism and Mass Communication and the Office of University Communications and Marketing. Through the program, Jewell has helped PR majors gain real world experience and every student involved in Flash Communications has had a full-time job after graduation.

Amanda Vasil, senior PR major and president of PRSSA, said Jewell will be missed by students and colleagues.

“I have had Rob for two classes in the PR sequence, and he also supervised me for a year when I worked for Flash Communications, Kent State’s student-run public relations agency,” Vasil said. “He’s always been eager to help me succeed in the major, whether it be editing my resume, writing a recommendation for a scholarship or talking with me about the latest social media trends.”

Jewell received the Outstanding Teaching Award in October of 2006 from the University Teaching Council. He was nominated by students, faculty, staff and alumni.

“I’ve enjoyed my time at Kent – it was a difficult decision,” Jewell said. “I’ve enjoyed the experience because Kent has an outstanding PR program.”

Jewell said this was a great opportunity for him to get back to writing and to do work for what he considers to be important issues.

JMC Director Jeff Fruit said the downside of hiring talented employees is that they are in demand from other employers.

A search committee has been formed to look for someone to fill the position. Bill Sledzik, associate professor and the chair of the committee, said the job will be posted within two weeks, and interviewing will start in April.

“Rob has been an amazing asset to PR Kent with his wealth of knowledge in corporate public relations, as well as his kind-hearted demeanor and unwavering support to students,” Vasil said. “It’s obvious to students how much he wants them to succeed, and students appreciate his sincerity and encouragement.”

Contact College of Communications and Information reporter Brittany Senary

at [email protected].