There is no ‘ready’

Adam Griffiths

It was Valentine’s Day. For many, just another day.

“Is anyone still trying to figure out where they are gonna live next year? Cuz me and my friend Katie found a great place but our third roomate just dropped out…messege me for details.” – Tanya Marics, Northern Illinois University Facebook page, 1:37 p.m.

And then it happened.

“There has been a report of a possible gunman on campus. Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear. Avoid the King Commons and all buildings in that vicinity.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 3:20 p.m.

Cue the FlashAlert.

“All classes on the DeKalb campus are cancelled for tonight. All NIU campuses are closed and all classes are cancelled for tonight and tomorrow.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 3:40 p.m.

The shooting happened in Cole Hall, our version of Bowman Hall.

“It has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance. All NIU campuses are closed and classes are cancelled for tonight and tomorrow on the DeKalb campus. People are urged not to come to campus. More information will be posted as it becomes available.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 3:50 p.m.

Cue the panic – students spill across Risman Plaza.

“Campus police report that the scene is secure. Only essential personnel should remain on campus.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 4:10 p.m.

Essential personnel. Do teachers stay? What did the residence assistants do?

“Campus police report that the immediate danger has passed. The gunman is no longer a threat. The DeKalb campus is closed tomorrow. All NIU classes are cancelled and campuses are closed for tonight and tomorrow. Students can go to any residence hall for counseling.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 4:14 p.m.

Get inside. Wait. Hope that your best friend didn’t have an Earth Dynamics lecture.

“Campus police reiterate that an immediate danger has passed. Students should return to their residence halls and stay there. All classes are cancelled and all NIU campuses are closed for tonight and tomorrow.” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 4:24 p.m.

Get on Facebook. Tell the world …

“Campus Alert: Check the NIU Webpage” – Danielle D., Northern Illinois University Facebook page, 4:26 p.m.

…Tell the world you’re still alive.

“All NIU students are asked to call their parents as soon as possible.” -Northern Illinois University Web site, 4:31 p.m.

Cue the national media. Start drawing parallels to Virginia Tech.

“A media staging area is available in the auditorium of Altgeld Hall (castle building on east side of campus).” – Northern Illinois University Web site, 4:39 p.m.

Today’s headlines: Valentine’s Day Massacre.

“Its has been confirmed that there has been a shooting on campus and several people have been taken away by ambulance. All classses are cancelled on the DeKalb campus. People are urged not to come to campus. More information will be posted as it becomes available.” – Diana Schueller, Northern Illinois University Facebook page, 5:06 p.m.

And then we, the student press, show up and tell your stories.

“George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in the class when the shooting happened, said the shooter was ‘a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on.’

“He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.

“Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg,” Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. “It was like five minutes before class ended too.” – from the Northern Star, the Northern Illinois University student newspaper, around 5:30 p.m.

But despite the chaos, it’s pretty simple –

“Scary. Sad.” – AJ Ryan, Northern Illinois University Facebook page, 5:31 p.m.

“I no longer will sit in the front row of a lecture hall, I can tell you that!!! I’d rather sit in the front row, but from now on, my ass is in the seat next to the door! It is sad! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!” – Shawna Thompson, Northern Illinois University Facebook page discussion board, 6:22 p.m.

Something must be done.

– Adam Griffiths