PRIDE!Kent elects three group leaders

Christina Stavale

PRIDE!Kent’s leadership will shift gears this semester with a new president, vice president and treasurer.

The group reassigned and elected these three positions at its meeting last night. Former President Colleen Eltibi was also appointed president emeritus for the organization. She had to step down from her position because unexpected financial issues kept her from being able to enroll in classes.

“I’m confident that everything will continue running as smoothly as last semester,” she said.

Former Vice President Leora Rzepka was voted president. She said she does not know the entire history of the organization, but as far as she and other board members know, she is the first heterosexual PRIDE!Kent president. Knowing this, she said, makes her feel special.

“Every president wants to get membership up,” Rzepka said, “but I’d also like to have more community outreach.”

She named working for partner benefits for Kent State employees and getting members more involved in volunteer work as some of her ideas.

Members also voted former treasurer Ashley Dill vice president.

“PRIDE!’s been a really big part of my life since I’ve been on the board this past semester,” she said. “I really think we can make PRIDE! bigger and better every year, and do better things.”

Max Harrington, freshman middle childhood education major, was the only new board member elected. He will be filling the spot of treasurer.

He said PRIDE!Kent meant a lot to him during his first semester at Kent State and being a board member will make things that much more special. He said he wants to continue to keep the group moving in the positive direction it has been going in.

Contact minority affairs reporter Christina Stavale at [email protected].