Sigma Sigma Sigma swims in syrup, batter and eggs

Tracy Tucholski

Mallory Kaplan, a sophomore early childhood education major and Sigma Sigma Sigma member serves breakfast food at the pancake dinner last night at the Sigma Sigma Sigma house. TRACY TUCHOLSKI DAILY KENT STATER

The Sigma Sigma Sigma house carried the aroma of flapjacks and maple syrup last night as the sorority hosted its first pancake dinner fundraiser.

The money raised is going toward a new house for the sorority members.

Shannon Linton, sophomore middle childhood education major, said the members rent the sorority house from a housing core.

“We’re working on owning our own house,” Linton said.

The women received the idea of a pancake dinner from other Sigma Sigma Sigma chapters who have hosted similar night events.

Linton said it was a good time for the dinner because students are coming back from Thanksgiving and haven’t seen their friends in a few days.

“It gives a break to students that are studying,” Linton said. “It’s great food for students running out of money on their food plans.”

The sorority women held the pancake dinner from 5 to 9 p.m. at their house on Fraternity Circle.

Admission for all-you-can-eat pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, juice, milk, tea and coffee was $5 and additional donations were also accepted.

The women started cooking around 4 p.m. They cooked for an expected 300 people.

“We’re swimming in syrup, batter and eggs,” Linton said.

The event was spread by Panhellenic Council word of mouth, walking door to door to fraternity houses, Facebook groups and posting fliers.

Mike Majeski, a sophomore aeronautical studies major and Phi Delta Theta member, attended the event with his friends. He said he tries to attend as many Greek events as possible.

“I heard about it, saw a flier and wanted to help out a good cause,” Majeski said.

The women are also in the middle of a year-long fundraiser of selling gift cards. The funds from the year-long sale also go toward their new house.

Contact Greek life reporter

Tracy Tucholski at [email protected].