Letter to the editor

Not everyone respected the silent protest

Dear editor:

The article, “WAR what is it good for?” was one-sided and inaccurate. Why didn’t the article quote Shane Facenbaker’s opinion that angered the protesters? There was a reason various protesters were upset that Facenbaker and others were supposedly exercising their freedom of speech.

It was disheartening to witness onlookers shout racial and demeaning slurs outside of the Student Center at protesters. I believe accurate information representing both sides of a story should be printed in the newspaper. The Daily Kent Stater must be careful to adhere to a high standard of journalism.

The whole point of the demonstration was to raise awareness about the war. The silent protest was held as a form of silent solidarity in empathy for fallen soldiers. Students and passersby could read protesters’ reasons against the war at their own discretion. “Silence speaks louder than words.”

For those who feel KSAWC is not getting its message across effectively, perhaps you could attend a meeting and voice your opinion? Statistically, 70 percent or more of the American population is against the war. Yet, too many people are unwilling to take an active stand against it. American history proves that protesting can be a successful way to make your voice heard. Remember to “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has” (Margaret Mead).

KSAWC meetings are held every Tuesdayÿat 7 p.m. in the Student Center, Room 204.

Jillian Hynes

Freshman exploratory major, KSAWC member