Beaux Arts features fashion with a twist

Sarah Nusinow

TOP: Freshman fashion design major Bethany Greenawalt models an Egyptian-inspired outfit Friday night at the Beaux Arts Ball. The “Culture Show” fashion show featured designs based on different world cultures. Photo by Elizabeth Myers | Daily Kent Stater

Credit: Ron Soltys

//

Walking into the Student Center Ballroom Friday night was like walking into a giant party. Five hundred students, faculty and family enjoyed a delicious array of hors d’oeuvres, desserts and cocktails as they chatted, while waiting for the annual Beaux Arts Ball fashion show to begin.

The theme this year was “Culture Shock: a twisted take on fashion” and everyone came dressed with his or her own “take on fashion” in mind. From the six Village People to couples in stylish ties and dresses, everyone was ready for a fun evening.

“I’m not nervous at all, I’m just really excited to walk the runway in two really cute dresses,” said Megan Rowley, a junior fashion design major and model. “This is my fourth year doing it and it’s always a really great time.”

The Fashion Student Organization had been planning the event since early September.

“Planning was total chaos this year because it’s so much earlier than usual and there is so much to do to get ready for it, but I’m really excited about the Culture Shock theme, it’s great,” said Nicole Tobolski, Fashion Student Organization vice president.

The evening began with an elegant five-piece senior thesis designed by Leanne Cook. The black and white gowns were draped and cut to fit the models’ bodies beautifully.

“She needed to present her collection at a public event, and we thought this would be the perfect place,” FSO President Allison Tranter said.

The fashion show began at 10 p.m. and showcased nine design teams’ collections that were each inspired by a different country. The models strutted to music from their teams’ country; it was like jet-setting around the world in less than half an hour.

“I was impressed by every model and designer this year. Tonight went seamlessly,” said Greg Hatch, a junior art history major and designer.

He said designing for Inuit Tribe was a lot of fun and working with his team this year went well because everyone had great ideas and talent. He knitted the scarf his model wore and used part of an electric blanket to make her pants.

“I was so excited to win best design team because we all worked so well together and our outfits were so creative,” Hatch said.

Amy Cobbs, freshman early childhood education major, said she found out about the ball from her friend Tara Stoffer who designed for Zulu.

“Everything about tonight was amazing and a lot of fun, I definitely will try and come again next year,” Cobbs said.

After the show, Tranter and Tobolski announced the winners of the evening. T’Rel Milburn won best model, Inuit Tribe won best design team, Chelsea Paskvan won best design and Elizabeth Medovich won runner-up best design.

“I thought it was all very artistic, I had a lot of fun tonight,” said junior communication major Morgan Teadt

The money gathered from the $10 admission fee will be split between the architecture, interior design and fashion student organizations.

“I won’t know for a few days how much money we made tonight, but I do know that every year it’s in the thousands because this is our biggest event, so I expect it to be pretty high,” Tranter said.

The Beaux Arts Ball has become an annual fundraising event because it keeps growing in size with more and more people wanting to attend. The money FSO raised Friday night will be enough to support the organization’s events for the rest of the year.

As the evening continued until about midnight, everyone joined in dancing to songs like the YMCA, at which time the six village people got on stage and led crowd with their signature dance moves.

“Since the theme was Culture Shock I thought I should dress up as something shocking, originally I was going to come with my friend as a woman, but then our group got bigger and bigger and we decided to be the village people,” said freshman architecture major Jamie Steckler, “tonight has been a lot of fun, I can’t wait for the next one.”

Contact fashion reporter Sarah Nusinow at [email protected].