Class of 1957, welcome home

Everyone enjoys visiting places where they made positive memories.

Everyone enjoys reminiscing about the days of their past — the “good old days.”

This weekend provides this wonderful opportunity for many people to come back to the place where they found themselves, along with friends and opportunities that changed their lives.

Homecoming at Kent State gives alumni the chance to catch up with old friends and relive old memories. Whether it is the football game, the dance or one of the various lunches, brunches or dinners, Homecoming at Kent is the place to be for all alumni who venture back to their old stomping grounds.

Where do we, the current students, fit into the Homecoming equation?

Contrary to what we may think, our presence on and off campus is a huge part of the Homecoming experience for the alumni who come to visit. The college experience and lifestyle is something many people look back and reflect on as some of the best times of their lives. We, as current Golden Flashes, personify that memory quite effectively.

Our first task is to show our support for Kent State in some form or fashion. One of the easiest (and most fun) ways of expressing your support is to be an enthusiastic fan at the football game tomorrow afternoon.

At 3 p.m., our Flashes take on the RedHawks from Miami University. Get there early and enjoy yourself in Tailgate Alley. Cheer loudly during the game. Be respectful of the friends and family of Kent State who are visiting. Make Homecoming 2007 memorable for our visitors.

If you are a runner, head to the Student Recreation and Wellness Center tomorrow morning and take part in the Bowman Cup. Starting at 8 a.m., the 5k race is a great way to support our school and meet some amazing people.

If running isn’t your thing, the Homecoming Extravaganza may strike your fancy.

Held at the Student Center from 11 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., the Homecoming Extravaganza will feature entertainment, informative lectures, campus tours and other exciting ways to spend your afternoon.

One of the most impressive parts of Homecoming weekend is the Class of 1957 Reunion Luncheon and Golden Order Induction. Kudos to the Alumni Association and Kent State for honoring graduates from 50 years ago. Without the work of these graduates, the degrees that we are completing today would not be nearly as valuable.

If you happen to run into any of the class of ’57 grads, take a moment and express your thanks for their hard work. Congratulate them for their Golden Order Induction. Without them, Kent State would not stand as tall as it does today.

In fact, take a moment and thank any alumni you happen to see this weekend. We hope we’ll all be in their shoes one day.

The work of past Kent State graduates has positively affected our lives as current students. They deserve our gratitude — let’s give them what they deserve.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.