Spirit walk held today for Homecoming week

Deesha Patel

Students wishing to show some school spirit will be able to participate in the first spirit walk of Kent State’s Homecoming week starting at 6:30 p.m. today.

Those who wish to take part in the parade are asked to meet at the Midway C-Lot next to the ROTC building at 6 p.m.

April Samuelson, Homecoming student relations committee co-chair and All Campus Programming Board festival arts chair, said the walk is a great way to show school spirit.

“The really cool thing about the spirit walk is that anyone can participate,” she said. “You don’t have to be a part of a group. You can just join in on the fun and show your school spirit. If you see the spirit walk parade walking by, feel free to join in.”

The spirit walk will lead to the pep rally in Risman Plaza, which starts at 7 p.m. The rain location for the rally is the Student Center Ballroom. The Homecoming Court and sports teams will be introduced during the rally.

There will also be performances by the cheerleading team, the marching band, the step teams D.Y.N.A.S.T.Y. and Golden Reflections, as well as DJ Lo Key.

Fifteen contestants will also be able to participate in a pizza-eating contest, which is being sponsored by Wordsmith’s, Dining Services and Campus Book and Supply. The winner will receive a $25 gift card to Campus Book and Supply and other prizes.

The first competition of the day, Roll Call, will take place in the Student Center at 6:30 p.m. Student organizations will perform a cheer, skit or dance portraying their group’s Kent State pride.

Also during the rally, the winners of the banner competition will be revealed. There will also be a competition among organizations for best standing display, which includes floats and decorated pep rally tables.

Contact news correspondent Deesha Patel at [email protected].