BUS discusses PASS program involvement

Christina Stavale

BUS also to present plan to Lefton outlining courses of action in response to racism

Black United Students executive board members are still in the process of putting together a “ten point plan,” which would outline courses of action taken in response to different levels of racism on campus.

BUS Vice President Prince Pempton said the group wants to present the plan to President Lester Lefton and be sure it is perfect before it is put into action. Pempton said details of the plan should be ready by the group’s next meeting.

During last night’s BUS meeting, academic affairs chair Quiera Lige discussed the importance of getting more minority students involved in the PASS program. The program has some specific multicultural days, and she said last year, the body of student workers did not represent this theme.

“For multicultural days, they need faces there that reflect what’s going on,” she said.

BUS President Sasha Parker said having multicultural students involved in PASS is important for other reasons too.

“It’s about letting people know about the classes that advisers don’t let you know about,” she said.

She pointed out the number of classes available in the department of Pan-African Studies and organizations such as Hillel and SALSA for students to get involved with.

Parker also expressed concern about the university’s anti-harassment policy being fully put into action.

In addition, board members passed out “black cards,” which are membership cards for BUS members. The more events and meetings students attend, the more stamps they will get on their cards. They will also be entered into drawings for prizes and scholarship money.

Adrian Neal, public relations chair of BUS, also announced a Rally Against Racism to be held Oct. 22 in the Student Center Ballroom. He said it will be the largest ever open mic night for Harambee and encouraged people to sign up beforehand to participate.

Contact minority affairs reporter Christina Stavale at [email protected].