College Republicans aim for continued campus growth

Kelly Pickerel

College Republicans President Stephen Ontko said the year has thus far been promising for the group.

Approximately a dozen students attend the weekly meetings, he said, and there are many more members receiving online messages and updates, but the group is always looking for more.

“We look for genuine conservative principles in our members,” Ontko said. “We gladly accept members who don’t believe every liberal view our professors espouse.

“(Our) meetings allow campus to become much more informed and educated through the true diversity that we as conservatives provide.”

He said College Republicans believe in a philosophy not only for policymaking, but for one’s life as well.

“Republicans are committed to responsibility, moral standards, natural liberties which transcend government, and the strength necessary to defend those liberties,” he said.

Earlier this year, College Republicans sponsored a town hall meeting featuring Vets for Freedom and Families United for Our Troops and Their Mission.

“(We) felt it important to allow veterans of the war in Iraq to speak about the passion they have for the mission they fought for,” Ontko said. “Their mission, a free Iraq, is in the best interest of the U.S.”

Ontko said the group has also been volunteering for local races, especially supporting John Widowfield’s Clerk of Courts campaign in Summit County, and will be committed to the races until Election Day.

Ontko also said he hopes to debate the College Democrats by the end of the academic year.

College Republican meetings are at 9 p.m. Mondays in Room 314 of the Student Center.

Contact student politics reporter Kelly Pickerel at [email protected].