Silent auction stays quiet to bidders

Sam Twarek

Founder of The Agape Project and Ohio University student, Mehri Davis, discusses a pen drawing of John Lennon with senior costume design major Katelyn Smith. Photo by Abra Williams-Witzky | Daily Kent Stater

Credit: Ron Soltys

For the majority of the weekend, Katelyn Smith, senior theater studies major, hosted a silent art auction to benefit a family in Tijuana without many spectators.

“It was pretty low key,” she said. “Either the word didn’t get out enough, or people just don’t care about art.”

Yesterday, the busiest day of the show, attracted about 15 students to make bids on a variety of art pieces including photography, paintings and ink prints.

The main attraction turned out to be the band, West Shore Drive, that performed last night.

“Like I said, it was the band that attracted the most people,” Smith said. “We’re taking donations at the door, so some of the money is being collected that way.”

All proceeds of the auction went to the Agape Project, a not-for-profit organization that helps fund service projects in other countries.

“I feel students aren’t good at coming out to events like these,” said Mehri Davis, founder of the Agape Project. “I’m excited that this many students made the time to actually come out.”

The pieces ranged from a minimum bid of $15 to hundreds of dollars for more professional work.

Although Smith said she was disappointed with the auction, she is looking forward to hosting another auction next semester.

“I would love to set up another show,” she said. “I think next time I might try to set it up in the Student Center. I think more people would come.”

Contact College of the Arts and College of Architecture and Environmental Design reporter Sam Twarek at [email protected].