Letters to the editor

Campus ministers unite against acts of racism

Dear editor:

We, the undersigned campus ministers, denounce the recent deplorable acts of racism, both here on campus and elsewhere in our country. We offer our prayers, spiritual support and condolences to the direct and indirect victims of these acts. We also invite the entire university community to join us in reflecting on and witnessing against these events in the light of the ideals of equality, reconciliation, tolerance and love for all persons, which are part of our individual faith traditions.

Baha’i Faith

– James W. Geisey

Boston Heights & Taiwanese Friends Church

Catholic Student Association

China Outreach Ministries

– David Hurst & Bob Simon

Crossroads Christian Life Center

– David Bittinger

Fellowship of Christian Athletes

– Ted Schumacher

Grace Baptist Church

Hindu Universal Friendship Society

– Surinder Bhardwaj

Hillel Jewish Student Center

Kent Prez (Presbyterian)

Kent Zendo

Late Night Christian Fellowship

Lutheran Campus Ministries

– J.J. Voelker

Navigators

– Greg Bryan

Trinity Lutheran Church

– Rev. Douglas Fidler

Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent

– Renee Zimelis Ruchotzke

United Christian Ministries

– Rev. Lauren Odell-Scott

Secularism isn’t the issue

Dear editor:

Have you heard that “secularism was soundly defeated.” Well, so says Matt ‘if it ain’t conservative and white it ain’t right’ White. Sweet Jesus, (and, of course, Jesus was behind this) what a triumph over evil! This emotional saga was reported play-by-play utilizing the worst type of ignorance – deliberate.

Secularists with a secularist ideology founded this country. For example, Thomas Jefferson said “question with boldness even the existence of God, because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear,” and “the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.” Indeed. George Washington wrote in his diary about rarely attending church. John Adams wrote in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, “I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved – the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!” Exactly.

White’s story is ostensibly about a teenager getting the word “God” on his certificate dedicated to his grandfather, but it quickly changes into that disturbing mass of conservative rhetoric that makes White’s name synonymous with “pissing me off, again.”

It’s about standing up for “what’s good and right” in the world. And, apparently, standing up for the foundation of the United States is, let’s say, insulting and absurd to White and those like-minded. It is not about “freedom of religious expression” as White lies. Pelosi has it right when she says it is not about being anti-religion. It is about a very specific, fundamental notion of separation of church and state (again, back to the foundation of our country). White and all the other religious fanatics should not be proud of this ‘accomplishment,’ rather they should be ashamed of attacking the ideas and rights decided by those great Americans that established our country. But conservatives are rarely, if ever, ashamed of their actions. For example, “I am not gay” Senator Craig (wink, wink), anything Strom Thurman, and Bush’s ‘Children’s Health Day’ – oh, psych!

Consider what other things conservatives have historically been about: slavery, women not voting, African-Americans not being recognized as human (and later voting, and, even later still, their civil rights), homosexual rights, genocide of the American Indians, etc. Not exactly practicing what they preach. Maybe they should think of that before they become too confident about ascending to paradise on the fiery bicycle of God, or atop the Great Winged Unicorn.

Greg Golden

Senior archaeology major