BUS discusses noose rumors on radio show

Christina Stavale

Black United Students executive board members told listeners about Thursday’s alleged noose rumors and other on-campus racial tensions on WTAM 1100’s show “Black on Black Crime” last night.

BUS held an emergency meeting Thursday night to discuss rumors of a noose being hung in a faculty member’s office in the department of Pan-African Studies. Police were alerted to the situation, and after investigating, determined the rumor to be unfounded.

“We still don’t know if it’s true or not,” BUS President Sasha Parker said on the show. “We do know that there’s some truth to it, but we don’t have all the facts yet.”

BUS executive board members each made a statement about the situation and discussed recent events at the university with callers.

“Every student on campus needs to be aware of what’s going on on-campus,” said Quiera Lige, academic affairs chair for BUS. “You don’t hear about the ‘n-word’ being spray painted on a sign, and you don’t hear about buildings being vandalized. It’s our duty to make sure every student on campus feels safe”

Parker also announced a press conference to be held at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow in the Kiva. She said members of the executive board hope to meet with President Lester Lefton to discuss these incidents and to be sure they are not “swept under the rug.”

— Christina Stavale