AVS provides useful service

Jamie Taylor

The Audio Visual Services department of the University Library offers useful services at little to no cost for students. Students can take advantage of checking out video cameras, tripods and digital cameras for free instead of buying their own.

“This program started off about three years ago with just four cameras to help out the Videography Basics class and then word got out, and now the American Sign Language students are our top users this year,” said Penny Englehart, library associate with the media service department.

The equipment is available to students for a 24-hour period during the week and also may be checked out for a weekend. Due to the popularity of the service, late fees are accessed for equipment not returned on time. The fees vary: Cameras have a $10 late fee and tripods a $5 fee.

Almost all cameras are lent out each day, said Englehart. To ensure a camera, students should make reservations in advanced by going to the counter on the third floor or calling the Audio Visual Services main desk at 672-3456.

The equipment has sustained some damage with age, but the department tries to maintain 12 cameras for student use.

Frank Bochard, senior electronic media production major, said he has checked out cameras from the AVS department several times. He took advantage of the service while in the Videography Basics class.

“The equipment was always reasonably up-to-date, digital, small and hand-held,” Bochard said.

Post-undergraduate student Horace Chong, said he often checks out cameras and tripods from the library and said it is really easy to do.

“I just have to walk up to the AV service (counter), tell them I need to rent a camera and a tripod, let them swipe my student ID and I am done,” Chong said.

The AVS department also houses more than 10,000 DVDs, CDs and videos. Students must make a request on the Kent Link Web site to access these materials.

Contact library and media services reporter Jamie Taylor at [email protected].