March planned by students to protest Iraq war

An anti-war demonstration will take place on the corner of Main and Lincoln streets at 4:30 p.m. today.

The event, sponsored by the Kent State Anti-War Committee, will feature a speech from retired marine Leonard Shelton, coordinator for the Ohio chapter of Iraq Veterans Against the War. Iraq veterans Jonathan Medina, of Mansfield, and Dave Airhart, a Kent State senior, are also attending but not speaking.

Yvette Coil, member of the committee, said Shelton will express to students why they should care about the ongoing crisis in Iraq, stating that if the government enforces a draft, college students will be those most affected.

Beginning across the street from Starbucks, the crowd of protesters will march to the rock on Front Campus for Shelton’s speech. From there, the group will move to the ROTC building.

Isaac Miller, junior history major and member of the committee, said the protest in front of the ROTC building is the only way to actually touch the government.

“It uses people and spits them out,” Miller said of the ROTC program. “We have nothing against the students. It’s the institution we have a problem with.”

The committee encourages anyone with an opinion about war to attend. A sign-making station will be set up and supplies provided.

– Kelly Pickerel