KIC works to expand its mission

Julie McKinney

Kent Interhall Council is no longer just known for Lil’ Sibs Weekend and Sextoberfest, KIC President Traci Sanders said. Programming remains the core of KIC, but this year they want to market the group in a new light– – that of an advocate for Kent State residents.

“Anyone who has a problem, issue and concern, they can come to us,” Sanders said.

Suggestion boxes will be available on campus for students to offer their opinions, and a comments and suggestions tab is currently available on the KIC Web site. The feedback will be evaluated so appropriate changes can be made to meet residents’ satisfaction.

The director of student relations, one of the newest KIC positions, will work as an advocate for students, said Zane Powell, sophomore marketing major and KIC director of programming.

There will be an open student forum Oct. 2 following the 7 p.m. KIC meeting in the Student Center’s Governance Chambers.

“Students will have the time to ask questions about why residence halls do things,” Powell said. “Students bring their concerns to us so we have a better idea what they are looking for.”

Directors and coordinators for Dining and Residence Services will be at the open student forum to answer any questions.

KIC is also planning a fake turf lounge outside its office in the Tri-Towers Rotunda. The “front porch” will be an inviting setting that will hopefully give students another reason to visit the KIC office, Sanders said.

Contact room and board reporter Julie McKinney at [email protected].