New program combines canoeing, Pilates

Katelyn Luysterborg

For most students, stress is a major player coming into the fifth week of school. The Outdoor Adventure Center and Student Recreation and Wellness Center have combined to create a new, relaxing trip called Pilates Paddle.

Geared toward beginners, participants will learn how to kayak and do Pilates at the Mogadore Reservoir in Brimfield, about 15 minutes south of campus.

“The trip is all-inclusive,” said Dave Herpy, outdoor adventure and camp coordinator and primary leader for the trip. “We’re providing transportation, equipment, food — we’re providing lunch — and instruction.”

On Saturday Oct. 20, participants will meet at the rec center at 9 a.m. and be in the water by 10 a.m. Participants will kayak for a couple hours until they reach a secluded beach, where they will eat lunch and begin the Pilates portion of the trip. Participants will be back at the center by 4 p.m.

Registration is open until Wednesday, and costs $30 for students and members and $45 for non-members. At least five people must be registered for the trip to happen.

Participants must attend the pre-trip meeting on Wednesday from 7 to 10 p.m. where they will go over the trip itinerary and learn the basics of paddling in the natatorium.

With enough people, the trip will happen whether it rains or shines.

“We’re not fair-weathered people,” Herpy said, “but if there is lightning or thunder the trip will be canceled.”

If the trip is canceled due to weather or not enough participation, a full refund will be issued.

To register, students can call the rec center at (330) 672-4732 and pay over the phone or stop by the Pro-Shop in the center.

Contact Student Recreation and Wellness Center reporter Katelyn Luysterborg at [email protected].