New shuttle service helps out where bus stops

Brindi Bays

Kent alumnus Doron Kutash’s one-man, one-van operation starts Monday. The vehicle will serve customers from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday and Monday. CAITLIN PRARAT | SUMMER KENT STATER

Doron Kutash stared at a board scattered with ideas at a Main Street Kent Economics Development meeting early this year.

The meeting’s focus was how to get people to come downtown. Words such as “retail” and “activities” jumbled together.

Kutash, a Kent State alumnus, thought hard and realized all the words had one thing in common: transportation. Maybe if students and residents had a way to get downtown, businesses would prosper.

He began thinking, and before long, the concept for the Go2Go taxi service was developed.

With Go2Go service, currently a one-man, one-van operation, students don’t have to worry about finding a ride downtown. Whether the destination is a hair salon, Burger King, the bank or a night on the town, Go2Go will pick up patrons.

The service starts Aug. 20.

“I took what I felt was needed and molded it into the right service,” Kutash said.

For $2 per passenger, per ride, the Go2Go vehicle will serve customers from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday and Monday.

The vehicle holds up to 11 passengers. As of now, Kutash is the only driver.

“The goal of the service is to provide the most efficient transportation,” he said.

In a press release, Kutash said some benefits of the service will be economic development, increased business success, community enhancement and improved awareness of activities and events in Kent.

Along with the shuttle, the “What2do, Where2go and Who2know” newsletter will be distributed twice a month to passengers using the Go2Go service and to local businesses. Businesses also have the opportunity of advertising on the Go2Go vehicle.

Kutash said Go2Go will benefit students most, especially late at night.

“I’m committed mentally to this, and I hope to take drunk drivers off the streets,” he said.

PARTA does an amazing job with supplying students transportation, Kutash said, but he said wants to help out where the bus rides stop.

The Main Street Kent program has made it possible for him to give back to the Kent community, and Kutash, who is also the chairman of the Main Street Kent Economic Restructuring Committee, said his service will bring more residents and students to the program’s activities.

“There has to be a partnership between the residents of Kent and the students at the university,” he said.

Contact entertainment reporter Brindi Bays at [email protected].