Campus organizations pack Student Center

Emily Andrews

Members of the executive board of BUS talk to new and old members. ABRA WILLIAMS-WITZKY| DAILY KENT STATER

Socializing dominated Kent State’s PRIDE!Kent chapter meeting last night with ice breaker games and karaoke.

The group’s first meeting of the year was held in a packed room in the Student Center with more people standing than sitting. Everyone was silent as the meeting started when a cell phone rang out the Golden Girls theme song.

President Colleen Eltibi called, jokingly, for the owner of the phone to get out of the room; she’s known him for years.

“I’ve been going to PRIDE!Kent for five years,” Eltibi said. “It’s a sense of belonging and a sense of family.”

She likes the sense of community, and one of her goals this year is to add to it with new faces in the organization.

“I’m really excited,” freshman exploratory major Krysti Bowen said. “I’m bi and I thought it would be a great place to meet people with similar interests.”

The leaders of PRIDE!Kent for this semester are President Eltibi, Vice President Leora Rzepka, Secretary Ally Oulton, Treasurer Ashley Dill and Program Director Theodore Trimm.

“One of my personal goals is to bring everyone in,” Eltibi said. “I want straight allies. Trannies. I want to do networking. I want it to be one gay friendly party – with glitter,” she added with a smile.

Dill encouraged everyone to continue getting to know each other after the meeting and go to the Rathskeller for karaoke.

PRIDE!Kent’s meetings are held at 8 p.m. Thursdays on the third floor of the Student Center.

Trimm talked about some topics and events for upcoming meetings

“We’re focusing on Coming Out Week, which is tentatively Oct. 8 to 13,” Trimm said. “I want every meeting to have something fun: playing games, book discussions, something that will appeal to everyone.”

Contact news correspondent Emily Andrews at [email protected].