Learn the rules of the rec center

Laura Rushnok

Before strapping on a pair of shoes to hit the treadmill at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, there are a few rules and regulations students needs to know.

First and foremost, do not forget your FlashCard – this is your key to getting past the front gates.

“Bottom line, you need your FlashCard – that’s the biggest thing,” former facility operations supervisor David Jacobs said.

“You can use another photo ID once a semester. If they have no other ID, they can go to the pro shop, but they have to fill out the form.”

A trick that is often caught is when students try to get friends or visitors into the rec center by lending out a FlashCard.

“If you try to come in on someone else’s FlashCard, we will confiscate it,” said facility operations supervisor Stephanie Bortener. “Do not give your FlashCard away even if you look alike.”

Students who get their FlashCard confiscated will have to sit down one-on-one with a rec center supervisor to get it back.

Once inside the rec center, students need to wear the appropriate attire.

“Unless you are running on the track or playing on the basketball court, you need to wear a sleeved T-shirt and appropriate athletic pants or shorts and running shoes,” Bortener said. “No flip-flops or crocs.”

Also, don’t bring Gatorade or any other sports drinks or foods downstairs. Water is the only beverage allowed.

If students want to use an elliptical or treadmill, they must sign up at the equipment check out on the bottom floor, Jacobs said. The equipment is available for 30-minute time slots.ÿ

The treadmills and ellipticals on the track and circuit area are open for use anytime on a first-come first-served basis.

The busiest periods at the rec center are between 5 and 9 p.m., Jacobs said.

Bortener said the best time for students to work out is between 6 and 9 a.m., and they can sign up for treadmills and ellipticals up to two hours in advance.

Contact student wellness and recreation reporter Laura Rushnok at [email protected].