Rec center has late-night entertainment all year

Laura Rushnok

If students want to take a break from the party scene, all they need to do is visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s series of late night events that span the entire school year.

This year’s first event, the Freshman Dive-In Movie, will be held Aug. 23. This event will not only give freshman a chance to come and see the rec center, but also to meet other people and make new friends.

The Dive-In Movie is Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. Don’t think this will be a regular movie experience, though, as students will be floating on rafts in the pool while the movie is playing.ÿThe showing will begin at 9:30 p.m. and end at 12:30 a.m.

The next event on the schedule is Vegas Night on Sept. 7. Last year, more than 400 students and guests attended. The evening included 12 gaming tables, a slot machine, a pasta bar and an Elvis impersonator.

“Everything we are doing this year is trying to make things a little bit better,” said Bob Holub, president of the student recreation council. “We have extra funding this year so we can do it.”

Improvements include more table games such as poker and blackjack, special lighting, roulette, craps, an improved music system, show dancers and illusionists.

The last event offered fall semester is GUTS – rec center style. Based on the Nickelodeon television show “GUTS,” students will compete in teams for a piece of the Aggro Crag. The event takes place Nov. 2.

Last year’s Aggro Crag winner, Cedric Mims, junior integrated health sciences major, is already preparing for this year’s event.

“We are coming back to defend the championship,” he said. “It was really sweet. I haven’t thought this way about winning since we won the championship game in football senior year of high school.”ÿ

Their team, Four Guys and a Girl, have the Aggro Crag proudly displayed as a beacon in their apartment.ÿ

“People threaten and try to steal it all the time,” Mims said. “We have to protect it.”

Last year, 50 teams of five players competed in different events. Some events included Flash Attack, where they had to defend a goal from flying soccer balls, and Totally Tubular, where contestants swam in intertubes across the pool.

Holub said there is no additional cost to compete in any of these events, and they are open to all Kent State students.

For updates on fall late-night events and sign up deadlines, visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Web site at www.recservices.kent.edu.

Contact student wellness and recreation reporter Laura Rushnok at [email protected].