Kent State offers emergency grants to assist students

Emily Walters Reporter

Kent State University has started an emergency grant for students in need during this pandemic. 

Interim Dean of Students Taléa Drummer-Ferrell said, “We had people reaching out to us asking if they could donate and help.” That is when Kent State pulled together their resources and put together the KSU Emergency Grant. 

The grant is open to Kent State students who are currently enrolled at any Kent State campus with at least one credit hour and are seeking a degree or certificate. Drummer-Ferrell said the university wanted to make the process easy for students. 

“The university created an emergency fund, which I thought was great. Not every university is able to do something like that,” said Jennifer Mani, a Kent State graduate student.

The grant is based solely on donations. The donations come from alumni, parents, faculty and others who want to help students. Emails were sent out from the Division of Institutional Advancement to ask for donations.

“We are thankful for the people who donated and made this possible,” said Drummer-Ferrell. 

Students can apply for the grant on the Dean of Students web page under the COVID-19 Emergency resources tab. 

The application is two pages and asks students about how the pandemic is affecting them personally but also as a student. Students can ask for up to $1,000 from the grant.

The money from the grant can be used for education-related expenses, such as housing and meals (on- or off-campus), utilities (off-campus), books, supplies and other course-related materials. Technology, emergency transportation costs or car repairs, unexpected medical expenses and unexpected child care expenses can also be funded by the grant.

Senior athletic training major Anne Paquette said, “I will definitely be applying. I have rent to pay.”

Paquette said she is trying to make the best of a bad situation, but she has lost her income due to COVID-19.

The approval process takes anywhere from five to 10 business days. During that process, they will take many items into consideration, such as FAFSA. Drummer-Ferrell said a lot of consideration is based on the narrative they receive from students on the application.

“We are going to do what we can as long as the funding is there,” Drummer-Ferrell said.  

If approved for the grant, the money will go into the student’s account with the bursar and then however the student has the account set up is where the money goes from there. Students will receive the full grant money even if they have a balance with the university. No money from the grant will be taken out for university purposes. 

“I lost my income like a lot of students,” said senior zoology major Janelle Belcher. “I was worried about not being able to buy food. I am also immunocompromised, so I worry about going out to get food. I have applied for the grant and am thankful for all of what Kent State is doing for students.”

Paquette said she is grateful for what the university is doing for its students. 

“What Kent State and the Kent State community is doing so much for students,” Paquette said, “it is nice to know we really do take care of each other. I am sad about how my senior year has ended but glad I am a part of Kent State.”

If students have not heard back from them yet, that means the application is still being reviewed. If students wish to follow up on their application or just have questions, they can call the One Stop.

“We try to reply within 24 hours of receiving the application for the students saying they are worried about not having food so we can give them those resources imminently,” said Drummer-Ferrell. “We have had a high volume of students apply and that is why it is taking those five to 10 days for us to figure out the financial side but we want to give them immediate help with resources.”

On the website, they also list resources such as career help, mental health, SRVSS and food. 

“I appreciate Kent listening to the experts on this and taking it one step at a time to ensure student, faculty and staff safety,” Mani said.

Emily Walters is a jobs and money reporter. Contact her at [email protected]