What not to wear: Top five freshman fashion mistakes

Lyndsay Elliott

Mini skirts, high heels, and wearing pajamas to class are just a few of the fashion mistakes freshman college students tend to make on a regular basis. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY CAITLIN PRARAT | SUMMER KENT STATER

Do you look like a freshman?

The top five fashion faux pas college freshmen make, according to upperclassmen, are wearing a lanyard around the neck, wearing a high school class ring, wearing high heels to class, popping collared shirts and wearing too much makeup.

Upperclassmen asked by the Stater offered their fashion advice to incoming freshmen on what not to wear in college.

Not a Necklace

Jessica Shanks, sophomore communication studies major, said the lanyard is for keeping your residence hall key on, not for making a fashion statement.

“It’s great if your hands are full, but they look ridiculous when they are worn walking around campus because it bounces around everywhere,” Shanks said.

C.J. Brkovich, junior business administration major, said wearing a lanyard around your neck makes a lot of noise.

“The keys jingle so much when you wear it, it makes a person sound like a walking jingle bell,” he said.

Shanks said freshman probably wear them around their necks because it is convenient and large enough to fit over the head.

Hands Down No

Steve Eickelman, senior business administration major, said he can always spot freshmen by their jewelry.

“Freshmen always seem to wear high school class rings,” he said.

Eickelman said some freshman can’t seem to let go of their high school memories, and this is why they can’t let go of the ring.

Shoe-in or Out?

Senior finance major Jackie Bilger said she can spot freshmen because they usually wear high heels to class.

“It makes them look like they are trying to be impressive or show off, but it’s not impressing anyone,” she said.

Junior education major Ashley Williams said freshmen wear heels without thinking about the consequences of walking across campus in them.

“It’s not fun,” she said. “That’s why I wear comfortable or flat shoes to class.”

Bilger said the structure of the high heel shoe itself is damaging to girls’ feet.

“For all the walking you do, especially living on campus, it’s not healthy for your feet, legs and back,” Bilger said.

Poppin’ Polos

Brkovich said a popular fashion for freshman guys is popping the collar.

“It looks goofy and like you’re still in high school,” Brkovich said.

Brandon Bond, junior business administration major, said guys who wear popped collars look like fools.

“The ’80s have long passed,” he said. “Find a new style.”

Bond said girls are also not into the popped collar look.

“I haven’t met any girls who like the popped collar, and I meet a lot of girls,” he said.

You’re Not a Clown

Caked-on makeup is another fashion don’t the upperclassmen interviewees agree with.

“Halloween is once a year in Kent, not every day,” Eickelman said. “Save the heavy makeup for then.”

Williams said heavier makeup is appropriate for the nightlife scene at college but not for everyday class makeup.

“It looks fake, and I’m pretty sure if it rained it would wash right off,” she said.

Voices of Experience

Every student has been the victim of one fashion crime as a freshman.

“I used to dress-up every day like I did in high school, now I just roll out of bed and head to class,” Brkovich said.

Bilger said freshman act this way to impress people.

“They try too hard and it comes off that way to upperclassmen,” she said.

Eickelman said the best advice is to be yourself.

“Don’t dress-up for class or wake up extremely early to get ready,” he said. “Sooner or later you’ll learn the only person who really cares about how you look is you.”

Shanks said the number one way to detect freshmen is by how they dress because they always look put-together.

“Just dress comfortable and laid back,” Shanks said. “If you don’t, you will stick out.”

Brkovich said after awhile, freshmen students will stop caring about being fashionable and turn to hoodies and jeans.

“Everyone makes mistakes, including us upperclassmen, but eventually the freshmen will learn to not try too hard to impress people and to not commit any fashion acts that scream ‘look at me, I’m a freshman,'” he said.

Contact fashion and College of Education, Health and Human Services reporter Lyndsay Elliott at [email protected].