Board of Trustees approves USS charter

Christina Stavale

The Board of Trustees approved the Undergraduate Student Senate charter referendum in its meeting today.

Under the referendum, more leadership positions will be available to undergraduate students to allow for better representation of the diverse student population, said USS Executive Director Katie Hale.

“I’m glad the administration and Board of Trustees respect the students’ voice enough to agree with us,” Hale said. “It reflects a positive relationship.”

Students approved the charter in the March 14 USS election, and it will take effect in the 2008-2009 academic year.

The Board also approved a student employment pay plan which designates student pay levels based on the level of specialization required for their job, in accordance with the new state minimum wage requirements.

Also, the Board finalized the decision to establish the Center for Public Health Preparedness at Kent State University, focusing on bioterrorism and risk management.

“The center will facilitate the education of those in this industry,” trustee Jane Timken said.

The Board also approved:

The establishment of Teaching English as a Second Language major.

The inactivation of the Ethnic Heritage major

A joint-use agreement between the university and the KSU Hillel to support improvement plans

Honors and resolutions of appreciation to Bernard J. Milano, Helen W. Dix, trustees James Biggar and Erin Kleman and retiring Honors Dean Larry Andrews.

In addition, President Lester Lefton spoke about his plans for Kent State in coming years, saying the university will soon have to make some difficult decisions in order to achieve his vision for the university to make it a “magnet for high-achieving students.”

The Board also chose to keep Sandra Harbrecht as chair and Patrick Mullin as vice-chair for next year. Brian Tucker was chosen to be next year’s secretary.

Contact general assignment reporter Christina Stavale at [email protected]. .