Honors college recognizes alumni, faculty, students

Ted Hamilton

Dean acknowledged for 14 years of service

More than 150 people gathered in the cafeteria on the second floor of the Student Center yesterday morning to attend the 21st Annual Senior Honors Brunch.

The brunch started with a speech from Honors Dean Larry Andrews about why they were celebrating. The brunch is a way to celebrate honors alumni, faculty and graduating seniors, he said.

“It’s a good tradition,” he added.

The honors college announced honors professor Kimberly Winebrenner as this year’s recipient of the Distinguished Honors Faculty Award for her work and dedication to the honors students. Winebrenner has taught several honors courses for the past 15 years, including freshman honors colloquium.

Winebrenner said she considers it a “real privilege” to teach honors students, and getting an award for something she likes doing is very rewarding.

The Honors College also announced 1990 Kent State graduate Sheryl Tucker as the recipient of the Distinguished Honors Alumni Award.

Besides accomplishments as a chemist, she has developed several programs to encourage younger women to pursue careers in the science field.

Tucker traveled about 800 miles to attend the brunch.

“It’s nice to be recognized for the things you feel are important,” she said.

The people attending the event enjoyed brunch while being entertained by a group performing Russian songs.

After the entertainment, several people talked about the achievements Andrews has accomplished in his 14 years as dean. Andrews will retire from the college after this semester.

Deborah Craig, coordinator of recruitment and scholarships for the Honors College, announced the “Larry Andrews Endowed Dean’s Operational Fund,” an endowment for the next dean to use at his or her discretion.

“This is something Dean Andrews has been working toward,” she said.

The endowment was something he has wanted to do, so the Honors College staff put it together as a surprise.

“It feels strange to have something named after you,” Andrews said. “It’s very nice.”

The seniors attending the event were called to the front of the room to get a flower and recite the Honors Senior Oath, an oath to some of history’s greatest minds to continue their research and scholarship after they graduate.

Abby Costilow, senior art education major, thought the brunch was a great way to honor the students for everything they have accomplished.

“It’s great to have stuff like this because the Honors College truly cares for all of its students, and this just helps to show it,” she said.

Contact honors and international affairs reporter Ted Hamilton at [email protected].