Candles for a ray of hope

Sarah Cockrell

A candlelight vigil will be held tonight in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. The vigil is to remember people lost to sexual assault. It is also for survivors of sexual assault.

“There is a ray of hope for a normal life afterwards,” said Jessica Shreve, president of Eta Sigma Gamma, the health education honorary society.

Before the vigil, there will be a panel of speakers who will answer questions about sexual assault from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in White Hall, Room 200.

The panel of speakers includes Heather May from the Battered Women’s Shelter of Akron, Officer Monica Moll from the Kent State Police Department and Valorie Prulhiere, sexual assault nurse examiner, from the Akron Summa Health System DOVE (developing options for violent emergencies) Program.

“We are bringing these women to campus so that people can ask questions, learn new information and have a general debate,” Shreve said.

The candlelight vigil will be held directly after the discussion. The group will walk from White Hall to the painted rock on front campus holding a banner made by Eta Sigma Gamma members.

Students are welcome to come with friends and family. People may also bring poems to read and are welcome to share their stories.

White and teal candles will be used at the vigil. Teal is the color of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

After the vigil a small reception will be held in the Read Room for a meet and greet with the speakers from the panel.

Contact on-campus medicine reporter Sarah Cockrell at [email protected].