Bar Mitzvah raises money for Jewish medical center

Ryan Wilkinson

Think back and recall the moment you stepped across the threshold of adolescence and into the world of manhood. If you’re not a guy, or not yet a man – then just pretend.

Reminisce: Remember your 13th birthday, your Bar Mitzvah. If you’re not Jewish – well, then you can pretend, too.

In fact, that’s just what the members of Alpha Epsilon Pi said they wanted.

The fraternity held its first Bar Mitzvah Bash at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom Saturday. Proceeds from the event will benefit the Shaare Zedek Medical Center, a hospital in Jerusalem.

David Danenberg, president of Alpha Epsilon Pi, North America’s only Jewish fraternity, said he is hoping the Bar Mitzvah will become an annual event.

About 75 students attended the Bar Mitzvah Bash.

The event was open to all students and featured a DJ and live music from local band Leave Your Pants at the Door. The band covered everything from ACDC’s “Highway to Hell” to an acoustic version of Akon’s “Smack That.”

“I think this has been a great event,” said Alyse Rothenberg, senior early childhood education major. “They did a great job planning it.”

The fraternity members said they were glad everyone had a good time.

“It is cool to see this many people come together without alcohol,” said Doron Kutash, an Alpha Epsilon Pi alumni and current MBA student. “It was a great way to get everyone together to have fun and support a good cause.”

The fraternity was able to raise $491 for the Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

“Overall, it was a success,” Danenberg said.

Contact Greek Life and ROTC beat reporter Ryan Wilkinson at [email protected].