‘Just say no’ is no guarantee

Well, it’s official: Teenagers have sex.

Congress said so.

More accurately, a study ordered by Congress has found that abstinence-only education programs do not guarantee students won’t have sex. The study, which began in 1999, surveyed 11- and 12-year-old students in four abstinence programs around the country and did follow-up surveys in 2005 and 2006.

The study found the students who attended one of the four abstinence classes were just as likely to have sex as those who did not go to the classes. They also had similar numbers of sexual partners. Even the ages at which they lost their virginity (14.9 years old) were comparable.

Granted, we’re not experts, but if teens are having sex as young as almost 15, it seems the $176 million a year the Bush administration is giving to abstinence-only education could be put to better use.

Abstinence is an important part of a teenager’s education. But that’s what it is, a part of a complete education. Teenagers need to know how to practice safer sex. As critics of abstinence-only programs have argued and this study shows, some teenagers still choose to have sex, regardless of the education.

Schools are supposed to prepare students for the lives ahead of them. At one point or another, sex becomes a part of their lives. Any school that doesn’t educate students about their sexuality is neglectful of the students’ needs.

There is more to teaching safer sex to students than throwing a handful of condoms at a kid and saying, “Use them.” They need to know how each form of protection and contraception works and the proper way to use them. They also need to know what they cannot do.

Along with physical protection comes the need to teach students how to mentally and emotionally prepare and protect themselves. Sex isn’t just a simple act. Casting all of the risks of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy aside for the moment, one of the biggest complications associated with sex is emotion.

Young adults before, during and after puberty have to deal with a whole new range of emotions and feelings, not to mention hormones. It’s very easy to get caught up in the moment and go too far without thinking about all the consequences. Students need some preparation and explanation for what their bodies and minds are going through. It’s very easy to go from love, lust and passion to regret, shame and embarrassment.

Sex education needs to be comprehensive in that it does not ignore any aspect of being a healthy, sexual human being. Abstinence and safer sex practices both need to be a part of it. Students need to know they will have to make a decision about their sex lives at some point in their lives, whether it’s to abstain until marriage or to have sex before marriage. They also need to know about what goes along with sex, from the physical to the emotional.

It’s not supposed to be an easy thing to teach because it shouldn’t be an easy decision to make. Sex is complicated no matter how old you are. There isn’t one right answer when it comes to deciding to have sex before or after marriage. That decision is different for each person because everyone feels ready at a different time.

That’s why we need to be prepared.

The above editorial is the consensus opinion of the Daily Kent Stater editorial board.