Camping, surfing trip offer spring break alternative

Jeff Russ

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center is planning a surfing and camping trip for spring break.

The 10-day trip to Cocoa Beach, Fla., includes two, two-hour surf lessons, three full days of surfing, kayaking and body surfing. The trip costs $475. The group will travel by van.

“For the price, it is a good deal,” Outdoor Adventure and Camp Coordinator Dave Herpy said. “It is an all-inclusive trip.”

Herpy organized the trip with Adventure Center Trip Leader Seth Keeble.

Keeble said they decided on this trip because he surfed in North Carolina and found it very relaxing.

Herpy said the trip is geared towards beginners. The trip includes two surfing lessons from Ron Jon Surf School.

“Everyone is familiar with Ron Jon,” Herpy said. “The instructor was born and raised surfing, he’s a phenomenal instructor.”

Surfboard rentals and wet suits are also included with the cost. Students will learn basic surf skills and learn about some of the things to look out for while surfing: rip currents and jellyfish.

Keeble said the goal of the trip is to allow students to go out and surf without supervision.

Besides surfing, the price of the trip also includes camping at Manatee Hammock Park. The campsite is a private campground, located roughly 30 minutes from Cocoa Beach. The cost of the trip includes tents, sleeping bags and air mattresses.

Herpy said the price also accounts for camping food and other supplies. The campsite also includes a place where people are welcome to hike on their own.

Participants will also learn some basic camping skills such as how to set up a tent and build a campfire.

Both men said there will be plenty of free time to relax on the beach.

Herpy said the only thing students will need to pay for on the trip is dinner at local seafood restaurants and food on the way there and back.

Herpy said anyone interested in going must be able to swim 500 yards in the lap pool.

The group will leave Kent State Saturday, March 23, and will return March 31. They will stop for food at a fast food restaurant on the way and back.

Participants are encouraged to bring two swimsuits, a hat, bathroom necessities and sunscreen. No drugs or alcohol is permitted.

“This is a good alternative to the traditional spring break trip,” Herpy said. “You could spend more to go out and drink all week. Why not go out and learn some new skills?”

Interested students can pay at the Recreation Center Pro Shop or at the Adventure Center behind the rock-climbing wall by March 16.

Contact Student Recreation and Wellness Center reporter Jeff Russ at [email protected].