Campus food on Hammond’s list

Hard work guides junior marketing manger Michael Hammond’s campaign for senator of research and development.

“Hard work is something I really believe in,” he said. “Nothing is just given to you.”

Michael Hammond

Research and Development

• Junior marketing major from North Ridgeville

• Vice President of Delta Epsilon fraternity and concert chair for ACPB

• Part of the campus food committee

• Wants to research information to provide better concerts on campus

• Will research and develop students’ ideas about campus food

• Wants to make the student population more involved with USS

As a candidate for research and development, Hammond said he plans to work hard to develop plans and research better ideas and opportunities for the university.

“This is a campus where you have to go out there and get things done,” he said.

One of his goals is to work with Dining Services to receive student input about food on campus. He said he is interested in what students think are the strengths and weaknesses of campus food.

“Dining services is constantly bringing in new plans and ideas for food on campus, and I would like to have a hand in planning and developing these things,” he said.

He also said he would like to work with the Daily Kent Stater to use information from the daily polls to better the student body. He plans to use the information to research new ideas for the university.

Another goal Hammond said he has is to work with the Center for Student Involvement and the All Campus Programming Board to provide better concerts at the university. He also said he would like to develop a street team to help put a face to the research and development position.

Hammond said what sets him apart is that he is already involved in his goals. He is currently the concerts chair for ACPB and has helped plan and sponsor events such as FlashFest and Blastoff. He is also a part of the Kent State Food Committee and he said he has seen how they work with the students to develop new ideas. In addition, Hammond is vice president of the Delta Epsilon fraternity.

He said he thinks it is important for students to realize the impact of the Undergraduate Student Senate.

“It’s their university,” he said. “USS has the power to do things they want to see get done.”

An important part of making students realize this, Hammond said, is to make USS more student-oriented. Students often complain about the way the university does things, and he said he wants to actually do something about it.

“I want to help bridge the gap between administrators and students by listening to the students and researching and developing ways that administrators can put their ideas into action,” he said. “It’s all about making the campus a better place.”

– Christina Stavale