Candidate focuses on freshmen and file-sharing

Kiera Manion-Fischer

Nikole Keslar, university affairs senator candidate for Undergraduate Student Senate, said she wants to use her experience as an orientation instructor to help freshmen make the transition to college and get more involved on campus.

She wants to create a Web site targeted toward freshmen with all the information they might need about getting involved on campus.

NIKOLE KESLAR

• Sophomore biological chemistry major with a

pre-dentistry minor

• Member of Delta Zeta sorority and All Campus Programming Board concerts committee

• Wants to help retain freshmen by making them more aware of student organizations and programming

“I also want to serve as a primary line of communication between the administration and the students for even the smallest problem,” Keslar said.

The university affairs senator also manages the Judicial Advocates program, which Keslar said is not being used to its full potential.

“I would like to get more judicial advocates and make students more aware of it,” she said.

Keslar wants to reduce the number of students going to Judicial Affairs because of illegal music file sharing. She said Kent State should invest in a legal file-sharing system, which other universities have tried.

Keslar, running on the Improve Our University ticket, said the members campaign and help each other.

Keslar said her main reason for running is to help the university.

“I want to leave Kent State a better place than I when came here,” she said. “I think USS would be a great opportunity to do that.”

Contact news correspondent Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].