Workshops to focus on breast cancer

Deborah Pritchard

Kent State is “Bustin’ Loose to Talk about Breast Cancer” in workshops being held in March and April.

Assistant professor Amy Thompson said the breast cancer awareness workshops will give people strategies they can incorporate in their own lives in terms of protecting themselves against breast cancer.

She said they will feature breast models where women can feel what an unusual lump might feel like.

The workshops are open to the public, but are primarily for faculty and staff, she said. Anyone who has a family history of breast cancer or is in the target age of more than 40-years-old would particularly benefit from the workshops. Participants will receive free lunch and a T-shirt.

A breast cancer surgeon and a panel of survivors will speak at the last workshop on April 19, she said. Following the presentation, participants will create a gigantic pink ribbon in honor of breast cancer survivors by walking a one-mile route on campus.

A new breast cancer survivor support group will soon began on campus, Thompson said. For additional information, contact Janet Creamer at (330) 672-2208.

For additional information and to register for the breast cancer workshops, contact Thompson at (330) 672-0676.

Contact student life reporter Deborah Pritchard at [email protected].