International film series to highlight first installment of lecture series

Joe Harrington

At 7:30 p.m. in the Kiva, the Gerald H. Read Distinguished Lecture Series will present its first session of the semester. The program will present the first of four installments of the Margaret Mead International Film series.

“We are pleased to offer this new feature by bringing International films that provide provocative thoughts on different topics on the world,” said Linda Robertson, the director of the Gerald H. Read Center for International and Intercultural Education.

Tonight’s theme is “Rediscovering Identities” and will feature three short films from around the world and even the United States. The films being shown are:

– Ryan, from Canada, directed by Chris Landreth in 2004. The film tells the story of a one-time famous Canadian animator Ryan Larkin, who now lives off welfare and begs for money on the streets of Montreal.

– Phantom Limbs, from the United States, directed by Jay Rosenblatt in 2005. Phantom Limbs discusses the different phases of mourning and how the film’s own director mourned for the death of his brother more than 40 years ago.

– Nalini by Day, from India, directed by Sonali Gulati in 2005. This film deals with outsourcing of American jobs to India, as shown through the eyes of an Indian immigrant living in the United States.

The films last 15 to 30 minutes, and afterwards professors from the Gerald Read Center will hold discussions about the different issues presented in the films. Robertson hopes the dialogue created by the students and professors will help educate them on the topics of the movies.

The lecture series will be presented every Thursday evening at 7:30 in the Kiva for the remaining month of February. The last installments of the Mead film series will be March 8 at 5:30 p.m. in the Kiva. Each installment will have its own theme:

– Feb. 15: Love and War

– Feb. 22: Women’s Rights

– March 8: Southeastern Turkish Women Leaders, Village Voices

Contact education, health and human services reporter Joe Harrington at [email protected].