Cycling is more than just a recent trend

Hannah Burkey

Cycling classes are not just a trend, they are here to stay, says John Wood, owner of CycleBar in Hudson, Ohio.

“Spinning has been around for 40 years,” said Wood.

Wood opened CycleBar in January of 2018 and explains he had been looking to open a fitness franchise for a while. 

“I looked into multiple franchise options,” said Wood. “But indoor cycling has proven the test of time. Cycling has been around forever, unlike other trends.”

Club Industry reports cycling classes are constantly changing to meet member standards, which is why cycling is not a trend. Great instructors, the positive atmosphere and creativity keep people around. 

“There are so many benefits of cycling,” Wood said, “Our classes are therapy for members.”

High intensity interval training, release of endorphins and the community indoor cycling creates is what members love, Wood added.

The Beverly J. Warren Student Recreation and Wellness Center also provides cycling classes as a part of their Group X program. The Rec is always coming up with new creative class ideas and they seem to be working. 

“Glow spin is extremely popular, spots fill up fast.” said Elizabeth Michel, fitness and wellness coordinator at the Rec. 

“The glow spin is also a lot more about empowerment and positivity. We turn the nights off, turn the black lights and party lights on,” Michel added. 

Students can take spinning classes at the Rec for $7 per class or purchase the semester for $75. 

Students also receive 20 percent at CycleBar in Hudson.

“Cycling is my absolute favorite workout,” Kent State speech pathology major Alexa Bitar said, “I do a lot of different fitness classes, but cycling classes are the best.”

Hannah Burkey is a fitness and recreation reporter. Contact her at [email protected].