Psychology graduate students win awards for research and service

Abbey Swank

Two of Kent State’s psychology graduate students will receive awards from the American Psychological Association.

Martin Sellbom will receive the Distinguished Student Research Award and Brian Hall will receive the Distinguished Student Service Award.

“It is an honor to receive this kind of recognition from the American Psychological Association, which is the largest association of psychologists in the world,” Hall said. “It helps to distinguish me among my peers.”

Sellbom and Hall were notified in January that they had won. They will not receive the formal award until August during the annual American Psychological Association convention in San Francisco. They will receive a plaque, $200 and a free subscription to society journals, Hall said.

“Division 12 of the American Psychological Association, which is the clinical psychology division, sent out a call for nominations for students who had a strong record of research experience,” Sellbom said.

Sellbom, who plans on graduating in May, is working at the Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto for his required, one-year internship.

Hall’s work includes acting as the sub-committee chairperson of the Student Affairs Section of the American Psychological Association, founder and chair of the Multicultural and Diversity Committee at Kent State and an Ohio Psychological Association committee member.

Contact College of Arts & Sciences reporter Abbey Swank at [email protected].