USS wants to change structure of ACPB

Jackie Valley

Members of the All Campus Programming Board expressed concerns about the proposed changes to ACPB at the Undergraduate Student Senate’s second Constitutional Convention meeting Friday.

As part of the proposed restructuring of USS, Executive Director Ross Miltner said the current ACPB would be reorganized to fall under the umbrella of the new Undergraduate Student Government.

Miltner said the new programming board, headed by the director of programming, would be given 50 percent of the student activity fees. Eighty percent of that money would be used for three events – BlastOff!, Flashfest and one additional concert – with the other 20 percent reserved for other programs.

He said the changes would make the programming board and the Allocation Committee “two equal arms of programming under the student government.”

However, Shana Scott, president of ACPB, said the proposed changes undermine the organization’s current attempt to restructure its own constitution.

“This has thrown us away from our own restructuring,” she said. “We have a lot of things to do for the student body and this will just derail us.”

Based on suggestions at Wednesday’s USS meeting, Miltner also announced changes to his original proposal.

Miltner said the proposed 16 senators would consist of 10 elected positions and six appointed positions. The 10 elected senators would represent academic colleges while the six appointed senators would represent diversity interests, underclassmen and student living situations.

The next USS Constitutional Convention meeting is 1 p.m. Tuesday in Room 319 of the Student Center.

Contact student politics reporter Jackie Valley at [email protected].