sNOw School

Students rejoice as Kent campuses close for weather

BRIAN MARKS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Adam Griffiths

The decision to cancel classes through 11 a.m. today was mainly based on how easily students can move across campus, said David Creamer, senior vice president for administration.

Canceling classes through late morning gives the grounds crew more time to clear the walkways, he said. However, if walkways cannot be cleared, it is possible today’s afternoon and evening classes could also be canceled.

He also said the condition of the roads factors into the decision.

“We tend to focus on what the roads are like in the near area,” Creamer said, adding that they broadly focus on the condition of the highways because most students are from the immediate surrounding area.

Most of the walkways were cleared yesterday morning, Creamer said, but there was concern the snow would continue throughout the day, making it hard for the grounds crew to clear paths.

“We were concerned that by late afternoon we weren’t going to be able to offer night classes,” he said.

Chloe Manghillis, freshman deaf education major, said it was about time the university canceled classes.

“Last week when there was an advisory out, the news said dogs weren’t allowed to be outside for more than five minutes, but I’m allowed to stand outside waiting for a bus for a half hour?” she said. “It’s really about time.”

The decision to cancel yesterday’s classes beginning at 2:15 p.m. was because it was the “logical break point,” Creamer said, adding most classes starting after that time would not end until about 5 p.m. when conditions would be worse.

Creamer said President Lefton technically makes the final call on whether to cancel classes, but he usually accepts Creamer’s decision. The decision to close the regional campus is made by the regional campus deans.

The university is more restrained to cancel classes than public elementary and high schools, Creamer said, because the university does not have built-in weather days.

The last time classes were canceled was about three years ago when the university had multiple closing because of large ice storms, he said. Added snowfall made the ice removal even more of a problem.

The university will not require classes be made up, but there is an expectation the faculty will incorporate missed material into the rest of the semester.

“There are situations when we feel that is not practical (to cancel classes), and it places a burden on faculty members to make up material,” Creamer said.

Senior English major Steven Schilling said he was overjoyed at the news of canceled classes.

“I’m going to put back on my pajamas, get toasty and play video games,” he said. “My freshman year, we had a massive snow storm and maybe four closings. The snow was waist high.”

Contact administration reporter Tim Magaw at [email protected].

Contact news correspondent Kelly Pickerel at [email protected].

//