HIV-positive prostitute has campus on edge

CHEYNEY, Pa. (MCT) – Cheyney University is on edge after the arrest of a woman who school police said had been soliciting students for sex and indicated to cops she was HIV-positive.

Sakinah Floyd, 36, of Upper Darby, Pa., was arrested Thursday night by university police on prostitution charges, according to Joseph Brielmann, spokesman for the Delaware County district attorney’s office.

A statement from Cheyney University said the woman visited two dorms – Truth and Yarnell halls – on the school’s Delaware County campus.

While in police custody, she indicated that she is HIV-positive, something that has students all over campus very nervous.

“We’re just worried that it will cast a negative light on the university. And we are especially worried about the welfare of the people here on campus,” said one female student, who didn’t give her name.

The girl, a resident of King Hall, said all the students in her dorm are taking advantage of the free testing.

“Safe sex is always the best sex,” the female student added. “I feel bad for everybody else though, especially for the females on campus with boyfriends who may have been creeping around – there is no way for them to know.”

A male student, who declined to give his name, said Sunday that tension was very high among his classmates after news spread quickly.

Sunday, some students – angered over the negative publicity surrounding the incident – yelled and cursed at reporters.

“Everybody is scared right now, but really to be honest, what I would like to see is more unity and more intelligence when people make decisions because it’s bad and it really makes us look bad,” said the male student, 21.

Students said they learned of the incident Thursday night through fliers that were passed out on campus.

Campus officials are urging anyone who might have had sexual contact with the woman to seek medical treatment and HIV/AIDS testing, which the university is offering at no cost.

Brielmann said that Floyd has been charged with two counts of prostitution, aggravated assault, open lewdness, recklessly endangering another person, and disorderly conduct involving at least two Cheyney students.

Floyd is being held at the George W. Hill Correctional Facility on $30,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is expected this week.