Ability Unlimited celebrates Valentine’s Day despite snow

Deborah Pritchard

A student wrote, “All these ladies can be yours, you big, bad pimp” on a Valentine’s Day card to his friend with six Disney princesses on the front.

Valentine’s Day cards were only one of the ways students in Ability Unlimited celebrated Valentine’s Day, a week late due to the snow day last Wednesday.

Students in Ability Unlimited, a group of 15 to 20 people with disabilities, made valentines for each other, decorated cookies with frosting, made picture frames and decorated bags with stickers and glitter to hold valentines yesterday at its Valentine’s Day party in the DeWeese Health Center.

“The most fun thing at the party was seeing everyone having fun, decorating bags and having wonderful conversation,” said Chad Coy, junior human development family studies major.

It was unfortunate that the Valentine’s Day party was postponed because it would have been nice to have it on Valentine’s Day, Coy said.

“I am glad to see everyone as enthusiastic and excited about it,” he said. “They are having as good as time as they would if it was last Wednesday.”

Bill Adams, senior criminal justice major, wrote names on valentines for his friends in Braille using a Braille typewriter called a Perkins Brailler.

Adams, who is the secretary of Ability Unlimited and has been a member for more than four years, said his favorite part of the party was the food, especially the sweets.

He put together a list of songs to play on his laptop.

“I basically went though all of my songs and picked out all the songs that have anything to do with love,” Adams said.

Laura McGlothlin, accessibility coordinator for Student Accessibility Services and the adviser for Ability Unlimited, said the purpose of Ability Unlimited is to “focus on abilities rather than disabilities.”

She said it is great for students with any disability to be together and be in the presence of others who can relate to what they are going through.

Andra Stover, junior Spanish major, said it’s nice to know other students with disabilities on campus.

“It’s nice to know I’m not the only one,” she said. “I feel like I’m not as shy as I normally am. Some of them are like family to me.”

Coy, who is the historian for Ability Unlimited, takes photographs and makes photo albums for the group. Coy said Ability Unlimited has also had a Halloween party and Christmas party.

Ability Unlimited, which meets for a meeting and an activity once a month, also participates in Relay for Life and has a faculty recognition dinner in April.

“Our main thing is to talk about stuff to prepare for the faculty recognition dinner and following meeting,” Coy said. “We try to have fun doing it. We do a lot of fun things.”

He said his favorite part of Ability Unlimited is being around others he can relate to. He said he enjoys socializing, having a good time and getting to know others.

Contact student life reporter Deborah Pritchard at [email protected].