Musical production coming to Stark campus

The cast of Kent State Stark Theatre’s production of “Oklahoma!”: Donna Rasicci as Aunt Eller, Kristin Benner as Ado Annie Carnes, Bart Herman as Will Parker, Jillian Elliot as Laurey and Joe Shipbaugh as Curly. SAM TWAREK | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Jason Hall

The Kent State Stark campus theater began presenting its production of the musical “Oklahoma!” this weekend. Additional performances will run Thursday through Sunday and March 1 through the 4. All shows will begin at 8 p.m., with the exception of the matinee performances Sunday and March 4, which begin at 2:30 p.m.

The musical, which was written and composed by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, first opened on Broadway in 1948. The show ran 2,212 times on-stage in New York and has had many revivals and national tours since the original opening.

“Oklahoma!” tells the story of a cowboy named Curly McLain and his romance with a farm girl named Laurey Williams. The romance is challenged by Jud Fry, a farmhand who seeks devotion from Williams. The show incorporates music and dance while creating a comical performance about the struggles of love. Several well-known songs are performed in the musical, including “Oh What A Beautiful Morning,” “People Will Say We’re In Love” and “The Surrey With The Fringe On The Top.”

The production will take place in the Kent State Stark Fine Arts Theatre. Ticket prices are $10 for adults, $5 for non-Kent State students, children under 17 and senior citizens. Kent State students will be admitted for free with a current student I.D. For reservations or group rates, contact the Kent State Stark Theatre Box Office at (330) 244-3348.

– Abby Laner