Save the World plans to battle ignorance, apathy

Christina Stavale

Saving the world may seem like an ambitious goal, but a number of Kent State students are up to the challenge.

Save the World is a new campus group with the goal of forming a network of support to help the world, said Katie Dougans, sophomore international relations major and president of the organization.

She said that this semester the group hopes to focus on AIDS funding, safe drinking water for children, land mines and sex trafficking – a modern-day form of slavery in Southeast Asia. Members also want to inform the community about important issues and causes around the world.

“Once people are educated about specific causes, they’ll be more compelled to help,” said Cheyanna Bacon, sophomore fashion merchandising major who also contributed to the formation of the group.

At last night’s meeting, the group discussed a broad range of issues, with each member talking about what he or she felt strongly about.

“I’m most passionate about helping the homeless,” said Laura Kordalski, sophomore fashion merchandising major.

Kordalski talked about a time when she kept her friend from throwing an old pair of jeans in the trash so she could donate them to the poor.

“I would love to sit down and talk to them (the homeless),” she said. “They’re regular people and some of them really did just have bad luck.”

Katherine Rybski, freshman applied conflict management major, said her passions are HIV and AIDS research and pacifism.

“I want to help people in the immediate area and all over the world,” she said.

By participating in the group’s activities, Rybski said she hopes to contribute to breaking down ignorance about facts in the world.

Members began combating ignorance at last night’s meeting by making fact posters to put in restroom stalls.

Rybski, for example, made posters informing students that one in four people with AIDS doesn’t know he or she has it.

Members also made valentines for children in the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

At each of the bimonthly meetings, the group will do something to help save the world. This is what separates the organization from other groups on campus, Dougans said.

“We’re doing things, not just talking,” she said.

David Pittman, senior political science major, said his goal for the group is to increase the number of people who actually do something about things they care about.

“We want to make it appealing to as wide of an audience as possible, regardless of ideology,” he said.

The group’s next meeting will be Feb. 20 at 7:30 p.m. in Room 315 of the Student Center. At the meeting, the group will be watching Born into Brothels, a film about sex trafficking. New members are welcome to attend.

Contact news correspondent Christina Stavale at [email protected].