ACPB looking to bring bigger names, USS drops Quality of Greek Life Task Force idea

Kali Price

Undergraduate Student Senate decided not to discuss a resolution presented last week that would create the Quality of Greek Life Task Force.

The resolution was put on the table at last week’s meeting per USS rules. But instead of deciding to approve or deny the resolution at yesterday’s public meeting, USS decided to keep the resolution on the table until next semester, said Justin Jeffery, senator for community affairs.

Jeffery declined to comment further.

The resolution would create a group that would look into reasons why the quality of Greek life has declined, as well as research what has worked for Greek communities at other Ohio universities.

Also at the meeting, USS decided to endorse a new Web community called Capazoo. At last week’s meeting, the senate heard a presentation from representatives from Capazoo. The portal is similar to MySpace or Facebook, but includes components such as contests, videos, blogs, dating and radio. Capazoo offers a limited, free membership, as well as paid memberships.

“I checked it out,” Jeffery said. “It’s a very interesting Web site.”

Amy Groya, USS senator for governmental affairs, agreed.

“I don’t see why we shouldn’t endorse it,” she said.

The senators also heard a presentation from members of the All-Campus Programming Board about its Spring 2007 budget. Most of the questions the senate asked revolved around FlashFest, but ACPB’s January program was also discussed. The organization is planning to bring comedian Bob Saget in January.

“Our focus this semester is bigger names,” ACPB finance chair Cassie Marks said.

ACPB president Shana Scott said the contract isn’t signed yet, but ACPB members who presented said the planning is nearly finalized.

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].