Study abroad programs highlighted during International Education week

Katie Roupe

Kenya, Darfur, Geneva and Taiwan are just a few of the places International Education Week will represent.

“You can’t leave a university without having an international perspective in this day in age,” said Ken Cushner, executive director of the Office of International Affairs. “This is one way to bring attention to that.”

Beginning Sunday, the events will highlight study abroad programs as well as various lectures by students and visiting scholars on their experiences abroad.

One of the main focuses of the week is a lecture by two visiting scholars from Kenya who work in schools without electricity and other modern technology.

Cushner said the visiting scholars’ lectures are a great opportunity to have the scholars share their own experiences and for the scholars to learn about our educational system.

In addition to lectures, students can play “Wear in the World?” and have the chance to win a $25 gift card by guessing each day the origin of Deb Lyons’, interim director of Office of International Student and Scholar Services, outfits. Students can stop in the International Affairs Office in Van Campen Hall or http://www.personal.kent.edu/~djlyons/ to place their guesses.

Other prizes will be available through International Water Cooler Talks in White Hall, Nixon Hall and the M.A.C. Center. The Water Cooler Talks display information on various global topics.

“More and more students will have opportunity to learn about the parts of the world that they may not have known much about and find ways that they can participate in it,” Cushner said.

Events include:

• 3 p.m. Sunday, Ludwig Recital Hall, Music and Speech. Chinese pianist, Chu-Fang Huang.

• 12-1 p.m. Monday, Room 315 Student Center. “Storytelling: An Aid to English as Foreign Language Literacy” lecture by Taiwan Fulbright Scholar Dr. Shih Mei Young.

• 11-noon Tuesday, Room 315 Student Center. “Darfur: The Worst Humanitarian Crisis” lecture by Kenyan graduate Dan Tengo.

• 2-3 p.m. Tuesday, Room 304 Student Center. “Working with International Organizations and Projects: Insights and Opportunities for Students” lecture by Anil Bhargava.

• 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Stark campus, main classroom building. An international student panel discussing “Views of America from Abroad.”

• 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Kiva. “Voices from the Village” lecture by Kent Head partner teachers from Kenya, Marcelina Mwanjala and John Mshiri.

• 10-11 a.m. Nov. 17, Room 302 McGilvrey Hall. “Cartographic Propaganda: Mapping to Convince, Connive and Contest” lecture by Dr. Mark Monmonier.

For more information check out http://dept.kent.edu/oia/.

Contact honors and international affairs reporter Katie Roupe at [email protected].