Kent Political Union looking to generate discussion, activism

Kali Price

In a time frame of little more than an hour, a group of eight students discussed Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, Israel-Palestine relations, whether the war in Iraq has become a civil war, China as a world power and the death penalty.

The students expressed varying views at the Kent Political Union’s meeting yesterday at the Student Center.

“We have a lot of ideas,” said Hillary Lovell, the group’s new president and junior political science major. “We want to generate meaningful political discussion. I think it’s important to inform students and generate discussion.”

The organization selected its first group of officers Nov. 21. Jen Widuck, sophomore international relations major, was elected as the director of guest relations. Justin Wolf, senior international relations major, was picked as the director of critical topics. The secretary and treasurer positions are still open.

The Kent Political Union was started by Steve Dunwoody, senior political science major, and had its first meeting last month.

Dunwoody said that the group plans to rely on discussion topics and guest speakers. Widuck and Lovell agreed that they would like to bring speakers who are knowledgeable about current events.

“We want not only discussion, but awareness and activism,” Wolf said. “And getting people excited about politics and (getting) them involved in groups that can actually make a difference.”

Widuck said she would like to involve other campus groups so the Kent Political Union can “act as an open forum.”

“We’d like to obviously generate some guest speakers and host some events,” Lovell said. “We’d always invite more members for our regular meetings. We’d like to have an open forum for political groups on campus. It’s important to not just stay divided.”

The Kent Political Union will meet for the last time this semester at 5 p.m. Tuesday in Room 321 of the Student Center.

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].