Student leaders honored at reception

USS Executive Director Ross Miltner highlights Senate’s semester activities

Dustin Konig serves student leaders and advisors during the Fall Student Leadership Reception in the Student Center last night. The event recognized leaders from all student organizations. AMANDA SOWARDS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Steve Schirra

Kent State students, advisers, faculty and guests celebrated the end of the semester with the Fall Student Leadership Reception last night in the Student Center.

Donna Carlton, assistant director of the Center for Student Involvement, said it was a night to celebrate the hard work of student leaders on campus.

“This is a fall reception for students who are part of student organizations,” Carlton said. “They really do a lot for the university, and we’ve had a great semester.”

Most of the students don’t get recognized, so this is a thank you get together, she said.

People began to arrive at the event just after 6 p.m. Guests gathered around tables draped with white and blue tablecloths and decorated with lit candles and seasonal centerpieces. People waited in line for freshly carved roast beef, turkey and ham or snacked on vegetarian appetizers and crackers. Cheerful holiday music played softly in the background.

Sheryl Smith, associate dean of students and director of the Center for Student Involvement, said the Center used to have awards banquets, but for the last few years they’ve held receptions.

“It is a chance for organizations to bring their advisers,” Smith said, “and a chance for us to say thank you for all their hard work.”

As guests continued talking and eating, Gregory Jarvie, dean of students and student ombudsman, welcomed everyone to the reception and thanked them for coming.

Ross Miltner, executive director of the Undergraduate Student Senate, spoke to the guests about the changes Kent State has been involved in this fall. New programs such as What2doatksu.com and Mobile Campus, operated by the Undergraduate Student Senate, were created to improve communication among student organizations. He said the reception is a great way for student leaders to get together.

“We’re here to recognize student leaders on campus for all the hard work that they do,” Miltner said. “It’s a little reward for them.”

Sasha Parker, president of Black United Students, said it was her second time attending the reception, and it was a really good turnout.

“There are a lot of organizations that I’ve never seen or talked to,” she said. “It’s nice to see who’s doing what in their organizations.”

Contact health and medical reporter Kira Meixner at [email protected].