Oh the ‘Horror’

Dave Bolger

‘Rocky Horror Picture’ returns to Kent after three years

Credit: Jason Hall

Break out the leather, put on your wig and get ready to do the “Time Warp” again.

Friday, the Rathskeller is the place to be for live bands and the event of the Halloween season as the rich history of The Rocky Horror Picture Show comes to Kent for the first time since 2003.

Rounding Third and Kill the Hippies will kick off the Halloween events at 9 p.m., followed by The Rocky Horror Picture Show at its traditional midnight showing.

Few films have as strong a cult following as Rocky Horror, and its participation aspect is something rarely seen.

In the 1970s and ’80s theaters all over the country began playing the film at midnight on the first Saturday of the month to sold-out audiences. Cross-dressing audience members became synonymous with the film, mirroring its drag-queen attitude. Some fans reported having seen the movie more than 1300 times, according to www.RockyHorror.com.

Rocky Horror began as a stage presentation in London in 1973, then as a film in 1975. The strange characters and storyline allowed for it to quickly gain a strong cult following.

The stage production of Rocky Horror has been playing at the Kent Stage for years, but an on-campus presentation was not allowed because many campus authorities feared that audience members would vandalize the area. After much debate, Jacqueline Parsons, executive director of Kent State Student Center finally got the production approved.

Rocky Horror really brings people together. You meet and interact with a lot of people you wouldn’t normally meet.” Shana Scott, president of All Campus Programming Board, said. “There are rules of etiquette for Rocky Horror productions . everyone must wear a costume, and nobody can make fun of anyone else’s costume.”

“Anyone not dressed up will feel really out of place,” Scott said.

There will also be a costume contest with prizes sponsored by student organizations.

For those who have never been to a Rocky Horror production, Kent State theater students will fill the front row and provide cue cards for Rocky Horror “virgins.” In the past, “virgins” were required to go through an introduction process that included wearing a “V” on their heads, but these traditions will be shucked for the night, Scott said. “We just really want everyone to have fun.”

Colleen Burch, ACPB Special Events Chair said it wasn’t easy getting the production together.

“We had a lot of pressure from the theater groups and from President Lefton to do a late-night production and we really wanted to something around Halloween . we ran in to a lot of ‘speed bumps’ as far as a lot people not wanting to do Rocky Horror, but we all really wanted it, and we’re glad that it’s happening.”

Students who want to know more about the history of Rocky Horror and what to expect Friday can take a look at one of the many Web sites dedicated to it, such as www.RockyHorror.com which offers lots of information including history of the stage and film versions of Rocky Horror, supplies you will need in order to participate in the interactive portion of the production, costume ideas and many fun facts about Rocky Horror.

“Virgins” and veterans of the Rocky Horror experience alike should prepare for a Halloween experience completely different from the Saturday fare of walking through East Main Street.

The concert, contest and Rocky Horror presentation are free for Kent State students.

Contact ALL correspondent Dave Bolger at [email protected].

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Where? Rathskeller

When? 9 p.m.

How much? Free (18 and over)

WHAT TO DO DURING ROCKY HORROR

For “virgins” of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” these are a few traditions to do throughout the film, regional customs excluded (according to rockyhorror.com):

Rice

At the beginning of the film is the wedding of Ralph Hapschatt and Betty Munroe. As the newlyweds exit the church, you should throw the rice along with the on-screen wedding guests.

Newspapers (Supplied by ACPB)

When Brad and Janet are caught in the storm, Janet covers her head with a newspaper, The Plain Dealer. At this point, you should likewise cover your head.

Water pistols (Supplied by ACPB)

These are used by members of the audience to simulate the rainstorm that Brad and Janet are caught in. Hence, the newspapers.

Rubber gloves

During and after the creation speech, Frank snaps his rubber gloves three times. Later, Magenta pulls these gloves off his hands. You should snap your gloves in sync each time to create a fantastic sound effect.

Noisemakers

At the end of the creation speech, the Transylvanians respond with applause and noisemakers. You should do the same.

Confetti (supplied by ACPB)

At the end of the “Charles Atlas Song” reprise, the Transylvanians throw confetti as Rocky and Frank head toward the bedroom. You should do the same.

Toilet paper (Supplied by ACPB)

When Dr. Scott enters the lab, Brad cries out “Great Scott!” At this point, you should hurl rolls of toilet paper into the air.

Toast

When Frank proposes a toast at dinner, members of the audience throw toast into the air.

Party hat

At the dinner table, when Frank puts on a party hat, you

should do the same.

Bell

During the song “Planet Schmanet Janet,” ring the bell when Frank sings “Did you hear a bell ring?”

Cards

During the song “I’m Going Home,” Frank sings “Cards for sorrow, cards for pain.” At this point you should shower the theater with cards.