Anthony Roberts enters transfer portal

Sophomore Anthony Roberts (15) attempts shot during the final half of game against Eastern Michigan on Mar. 9, 2020. Kent State won 86-76 allowing them to move on to the quarterfinals.

Kent State guard Anthony Roberts announced his decision to enter the transfer portal on Twitter Monday afternoon.

The sophomore came off the bench at the start of the season but quickly worked his way into the starting lineup and became a key part of the Flashes’ offense.

Roberts appeared in 30 games in the 2019-20 season, averaging 12.7 points, 2.4 assists and 2.9 rebounds per game.

After a stretch of single-digit games in the back half of conference play, Roberts came to life to score 21 points in a blowout win over Ohio and a career-high 23 points in an overtime loss at Buffalo.

Roberts missed two games with a groin injury he suffered in warm-ups prior to the rematch against the Bobcats, which Kent State lost by seven.

With the impending departure of Roberts, Kent State’s offense will be in need of new production going into the 2020-21 season.

The only starter and double-digit average scorer returning for the Flashes is junior forward Danny Pippen.

Pippen was Kent State’s second-leading scorer this season, averaging 14.3 points per game. 

Only senior guard Antonio “Booman” Williams outscored Pippen.

Williams is graduating, along with fellow senior guard Troy Simons, who was the second-leading 3-point shooter in the Mid-American Conference.

With Roberts set to leave as well, the Flashes will look to guards like freshman Giovanni Santiago and junior Mike Nuga, who transferred to Kent State and was ineligible to play this season, for offensive production.

Owen MacMillan is an assigning editor. Contact him at [email protected].