New May 4 film

Kiera Manion-Fischer

Kent State is back in the spotlight.

A new documentary called “Kent State: May 4, 1970” will air at 7:00 p.m. tonight on The History Channel. The production will premiere on a new series called “Our Generation.” Each episode will cover a major event that affected the baby boomer generation.

Steve Gillon, resident historian for The History Channel and professor of history at University of Oklahoma, hosts the series. Several Kent State faculty members and eyewitnesses to the events were involved in the show.

Jerry M. Lewis, professor emeritus of sociology, appeared in the show. Lewis was a faculty marshall present during that famous demonstration on May 4 when four Kent State students were killed and nine others were wounded.

“I saw the guard turn and fire,” Lewis said.

He thought students interested in learning more about May 4 might tune into the program. Lewis also recommended “Kent State: The Day the War Came Home,” saying that documentary goes into more depth. It discusses the events that led up to May 4, while The History Channel program focused on the day itself.

However, Lewis said he thought this documentary was well balanced.

Several student witnesses were interviewed, including Laura Davis, now associate provost at Kent State, and Dean Kahler, who was paralyzed from the waist down by a bullet.

Other interviewees included William Lillich, a former Kent police officer and current director of safety; Ed Grant, a former National Guardsman; Mark Urycki, a journalist who has produced a radio documentary about May 4; and student witnesses Peter Jedick and Alan Frank.

Contact news correspondent Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].